The Summer Residence of the Dynasty
It consists of a coast palace parallel to the coast and kiosk connected to it. Architect brothers Sarkis and Agop Balyan built Beylerbeyi Palace in request of Abdülaziz (1861-1876) after demolishing a wooden palace where it was located before.
The palace was used in the summers and to accommodate foreign ministers. Abdülhamit II, who was without a throne and exiled to Salonica in 1909, settled in Beylerbeyi Palace in 1912 and stayed there until his death. Nacreous furniture’s made by Abdülhamit II are interesting examples showing his skills in carpentry.
Structure built with two stories on a high cellar has a rectangular plan with the size of 65 to 40 meters. It is divided into two main sections, south section is Selamlık, and north section is Harem. Rooms and halls are decorated with precious objects.
There are kiosks and a big pool in the palace garden which is designed as sets according to the slope. Yellow Kiosk and Marble Kiosk which was built in Mahmut II period are located around the big pool. Two sea kiosks, one for Harem and the other for Selamlık, were built with the new palace. Beylerbeyi Palace can be visited every day except Mondays and Thursdays between 09:30 and 17:00 (16:00 in winter season).