MUĞLA - MYLASA (MILAS)
Coordinate: 37º18’46.11’’K 27º45’55.00’’D Height: 61 m
It is in the city center, next to Grand Bazaar. It was built with the spoils obtained from Battle of Nicopolis in years between 1396 and 1400 by Bayezit the Thunderbolt. It is a monumental example of multi-legged and multi-domed mosque common in the first period of Ottomans. 20 domes cover the main venue in size of 50 to 63 meters.
The most important building survived in Mylasa till today is Gümüşkesen Chambered Tomb Monument from the 2nd century A.D. Upper floor of the rectangular tomb chamber built with big marble blocks is in the shape of gallery. The roof of the monument is pyramidal.
Labranda located 14 km north of Milas is the sanctuary of Labrandean Zeus. It was connected to Milas by a paved holy road that traces still can be seen, and it was considered as a part of the city. Excavations revealed that it was a sacred space since 6th century B.C. Most of the structures were built during Maussolos (377-352 B.C.) and his brother Idrieus (351-344 B.C.) period. Usage of the sanctuary as a cult place was over after a fire disaster in 4th century A.D.
Euromos (Ayaklı) was one of the most important cities of the region which is 12 km away from Milas on Söke-Milas road. Temple of Zeus dated for 2nd century A.D., takes attention with its well-protected structure. 16 columns of the temple which is in size of 14,40 meters to 26,80 meters are still standing. It is understood from the inscriptions on the columns that, each of the columns was built by a different person.
Do Not Return Without Doing:
Shopping: Milas carpets, Trips: Lake Bafa.
Activity: Milas Festival, the first week of September.