It was built in the center of a courtyard surrounded by railings on the shores of the Golden Horn. Instead of concrete, cast iron was preferred for being lighter in the construction of the church. Pieces were produced in Vienna and brought to Istanbul by ship over Danube River and Black sea in 1896. The church was built in its current location in a work of 1.5 years in 1898. Carrier profiles of the church were made of steel, and they were covered with sheet iron and casting sheets. In the church which is used by Bulgarians living in Istanbul, tombs of Bulgarian Patriarchs are carefully protected.