The castle at the top of the hill overlooks the city and the bay. It is thought to have been constructed by Lysimakhos, one of the commanders of Alexander, in 4th century B.C. Lower parts of the body wall are left from this period. Later, castle was repaired and expanded by Roman and Byzantine, however, it was destroyed by Timur’s army in 1402. Today, it still stands with south walls in the west, and five bastions facing the bay. The cistern inside is thought to be from Byzantine period.