Join My Mailing List
  • White Facebook Icon

© 2023 by AllAbouTurkiye. Proudly created with D.

GORDIUM (YASSIHÜYÜK)

Gordium, as the capital of ancient Phrygia, is in Yassihüyük Village connected to Polatli; it is near Ankara-Eskişehir Highway and 90 km away from Ankara. Phrygians came from Macedonia and settled in the south and southeast coasts of Marmara Sea during the period of the collapse of the Hittite Empire. Groups consist of tribes, was arrived Polatlı region, namely Gordium in 1100-1000 B.C. The city began to gain importance in the 9th century B.C. The emergence of Phrygia as a strong central government was in the middle of the 8th century B.C. .  Gordios and his son Midas (738-696 B.C.) are famous kings of the period. Name of the capital Gordium came from the Phrygian King Gordios.

It lived its heyday during King Midas, son of Gordios, period. Gordium was burned and destroyed by Cimmerian invaders in 696 B.C. Although, Midas suicide for not standing to this destruction, king family lived as principalities in Gordium and Central Anatolia. The city had stayed under the sovereignty of Persia until the conquest of Alexander the Great in the 4th century B.C. Gordium turned into an ordinary village during the Roman period, and its importance was reduced.

There are five place remains in the center of Gordium. They were covered with geometric design mosaics made from dark red, dark blue and yellow pebbles. In the west of the palace, 8 megarons (the structure which has an entrance hall in the front and large hall in the back) in size of 11 meters to 14 meters were aligned.

 

One of the most important features of Gordium is more than 80 tumuli (agglomerated grave) around it. The largest of them which is in diameter of 300 meters and 53 meters high is important for being the second biggest tumulus in Anatolia. Burial chamber is reached by a 140 meters long tunnel. This tomb is thought to belong to King Midas. Many of the gifts discovered in the burial chamber were moved to the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, and some of them to Museum of Gordium.