The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
Coordinate: 41º01’45.52’’K 28º57’05.56’’D Height: 17 m
It is located in Sadrazam Ali Paşa Street. After Constantine the Great moved capital of Roman Empire to Istanbul, church in here raised to the level of archiepiscopate. In the 1st Istanbul Council in 381, it was decided that both Istanbul bishop and Roman bishop to have equal rights. Rome, Istanbul, Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem were accepted as a center of Christian world following the council. Religious strife between Eastern and Western churches concluded with two churches separated from each other under the names of Orthodox and Catholic in 1054.
Istanbul was conquered by the Ottomans, the last patriarch Athanasios II quitted for opposing the union of two churches, and a new assignment wasn’t made. Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror involved closely with the Patriarchate after conquering Istanbul in 1453, and made a new election for a new patriarch.
After continuing to be active in various places, the Patriarchate settled in the Church of St. George, located in Fener in 1602. Administration building and the church are in a courtyard surrounded by high walls.