Coordinate: 41º00’19.42’’K 28º58’34.57’’D Height: 50 m
Sultan Ahmet I (1603-1617) was careful on choosing the location of the mosque, demolishing Ottoman palaces and mansions by expropriating the southern area of the Hippodrome. It is one of the latest examples of Classical Era Architecture, built by Architect Sedefhar Mehmet Ağa between 1609 and 1616. Name Blue Mosque was given by Western travelers for its interior painting changed to blue in 18th century.
The mosque has a fascinating architecture with its elegant posture in spite of huge size within a yard of 4600 m². It has the distinctive feature separating from other mosques for being the only mosque with six minarets belonging to Ottoman period.
Structure built on a high platform is entered with marble stairs. In the middle of the inner courtyard surrounded by riwaqs, there are hexagonal and six marble columns, and a decorative fountain.
Worshipping place which is almost 53 meters long and 51 meters wide is covered by a dome with 23,5 meters in diameter and 43 meters in height. Dome carried by four columns with 5 meters in diameter called elephant legs, expands the space with half-domes opening to four directions.
Place of worship closer to 53x50 square meters, 43 meters high from the ground and is covered by a dome 23,5 meters in diameter. 5 meters in diameter, called the four elephant legs to move the dome of the columns, drop in four directions of space with half-dome expands.
Parallel to Ottoman architecture,"tiling, woodworking, stone working and painting decoration also called pen works are decorative items that enhance the architecture. Upper covers are decorated with pen works. Gallery floor decorated with more than 20.000 tiles is glamour. Tile patterns designed in Nakkashane of Topkapi Place are specially prepared in Iznik workshops.
Gate wings and shutters are magnificent examples of Ottoman metal and wooden labor; altar, pulpit and maksoorah altar of sultan are magnificent examples of Ottoman stone works.
All of these features, the Blue Mosque, are one of most popular mosques of Istanbul.